03-Biological Systems and Organisms
07-Astronomy, Space and Earth Sciences
10-Social and Economic Sciences
STARTING IN 2017 APPLICATIONS CAN ONLY BE SUBMITTED VIA THE ONLINE PORTAL USING THE APPLY NOW BUTTON AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE.
- TWAS-CIIT Postgraduate Fellowships are tenable in the departments and laboratories of the campuses of the COMSATS Institute of Information Technology (CIIT).
- SANDWICH Fellowships (for those registered for a PhD in their home country): The Fellowship may be granted for a minimum period of 6 months and a maximum period of 18 months.
- FULL-TIME Fellowships (for those not registered for a PhD in their home country): The Fellowship may granted for a period of up to 3 years. Candidates will register for their PhD in the relevant department at one of the campuses of CIIT, Pakistan.
- NEW- CIIT-TWAS Fellowships are also offered in the following social and economic sciences - Development Studies, International Economics, Development Economics, Education and Science Education, Gender Studies, International Relations, Political Science.
- CIIT will provide a monthly stipend which should be used to cover living costs such as food, accommodation and health insurance. The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency.
- The language of instruction is English.
Applicants for these fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- be nationals of a developing country (other than Pakistan);
- must not be on site in Pakistan;
- must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in Pakistan or any developed country;
- hold an MSc degree in a field of natural sciences;
- IF applying in a field of eligible social sciences, hold a MSc degree in a field of social sciences;
- be a maximum age of 35 years by 31 December in the year of application;
- for SANDWICH Fellowships: be registered PhD students in a developing country and provide the "Registration and No Objection Certificate" from the HOME university (see sample in guidelines);
- for FULL-TIME Fellowships: be willing to register at a university in Pakistan;
- provide a certificate of good health from a qualified medical doctor;
- provide an official Acceptance Letter from CIIT (see sample Acceptance Letter on page 5). Requests for acceptance must be sent to Mr. Kashif Masood, Deputy Registrar (International) (by email firstname.lastname@example.org) who will facilitate assignment of a host supervisor. In contacting Mr. Kashif Masood, applicants must accompany their request for an Acceptance Letter with copy of their CV and a research proposal outline;
- provide evidence of proficiency in English, if medium of education was not English;
- provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship;
- not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship;
- be financially responsible for any accompanying family members.
Submitting your application
- The call for applications is open until 31 August 2017.
- Applicants must submit an Acceptance Letter from CIIT when applying, or by the deadline at the latest. Without preliminary acceptance the application will not be considered for selection.
- Reference letters must be on letter-headed paper and SIGNED. The subject line must contain CIIT/PG and the candidate’s surname. N.B. Only signed reference letters can be accepted.
- Applicants to the TWAS-CIIT Postgraduate Fellowship Programme should send a copy of their application (by email) to CIIT.
- Applications can only be accepted via the online portal using the apply now button at the bottom of this page.
Are you a potential applicant for a full-time PhD in a field related to atmospheric science, climate and climate change, hydrology, multi-hazard early-warning or disaster-risk reduction? If so, you may be interested in applying for a World Meteorological Organization (WMO) travel grant as a complement to the PhD fellowship.
• TWAS Fellowships Office
Strada Costiera 11
34151 Trieste, Italy
Phone: +39 040 2240-314
Fax: +39 040 2240-689
• COMSATS Institute of Information Technology (CIIT)
Mr. Kashif Masood
Deputy Registrar (International)
Park Road, Chak Shahzad
Tel: (+9251) 9049 5272
Fax: (+9251) 924 7010